TZANAKIS SCORE AS DIAGNOSTIC TOOL FOR ACUTE APPENDICITIS
Objective: To determine the usefulness of Tzanakis score in the diagnosis of acute appendicitis using histopathology as gold standard.
Study Design: Cross-sectional validation study.
Place and Duration of Study: Department of General Surgery Combined Military Hospital Bahawalpur, from January 2015 to December 2015.
Material and Methods: A total of 158 patients were included in this study. Tzanakis score was assessed for each patient on presentation in emergency department. Open appendectomy was performed in all patients and respected appendicular specimens were sent for histopathological examination. Sensitivity analysis was done by using two by two tables.
Results: Out of 158 patients, 117 (74.1%) were male while remaining 41 (25.9%) were female with mean age of 27.5 ± 9.1 years. Sensitivity of Tzanakis score in diagnosing acute appendicitis was 91.9%, specificity 85.1%, positive predictive value 93.6%, negative predictive value 81.6%, and diagnostic accuracy was 89.9%.
Conclusion: Tzanakis score at a cut-off total score of 8 is a very useful tool to diagnose appendicitis