EVALUATION OF P53 AND KI67 PROLIFERATIVE INDEX IN TRIPLE NEGATIVE BREAST CARCINOMA
Keywords:Ki67, p53, Triple negative breast cancer
Objective: To evaluate expression of p53 and Ki67 proliferative index in triple negative breast carcinoma.
Study Design: Cross-sectional analytical study.
Place and Duration of Study: Department of Histopathology, AFIP Rawalpindi, from Jan to Jul 2018.
Methodology: Fifty-two cases of triple negative female breast carcinoma were included in this study regardless of age of patient, histological type and grade of the tumor. Tumors such as malignant tumors with positive immunohistochemical staining for ER, PR and Her 2 neu, stromal tumors, skin squamous cell carcinomas, lymphomas, poorly fixed specimens and specimens with scanty tumor tissue were excluded.
Results: The mean age of patients was 53.28 ± 7.69 years (range 40-71 years). Most of the patients were in the age group 41–50 years 21 (40.4%) and 51-60 years 21 (40.4%), followed by age group more than 60 years 10 (9.2%). High Ki67 index was seen in 34 (65.4%) of cases. In the rest of the cases 18 (34.6%) the proliferative index was low. Out of the 52 cases of triple-negative breast cancer 44 cases (84.6%) showed nuclear positivity for P53, the rest of 8 cases (15.4%) were negative for p53.
Conclusion: Most cases occurred in the 5th and 6th decades of life. The study showed strong correlation between p53 expression and high Ki67 proliferative index. This finding can help in the management of patients of TNBC and predicting the prognosis of the disease.