FREQUENCY OF HYPERTRIGLYCERIDEMIA IN NEWLY DIAGNOSED TYPE 2 DIABETICS
Hypertriglyceridemia Type 2 Diabetes Mallitus
Objective: To determine the frequency of hypertriglyceridemia in newly diagnosed type 2 diabetics presenting to tertiary care hospital.
Study Design: Cross sectional descriptive study.
Place and Duration of Study: This study was carried out at Department of Medicine, Military Hospital Rawalpindi from Nov 2010 to May 2011.
Material and Methods: A total of 193 patients were recruited in this study from medical outpatient department and medical wards. Patients aged more than 30 years and of both sexes who were diagnosed diabetics in the past 6 months were included in the study.
Results: Mean age of the patients was 49.1 ± 7.3 years. Regarding gender distribution, 135 patients (70.0%) were male while remaining 58 patients (30.0%) were female. Out of total 193 patients, hypertriglyceridemia was present in 112 patients (58.0%). Mean fasting blood glucose was 8.29 ± 0.69 mmol/l, 2 hours post-prandial blood glucose 14.59 ± 1.71 mmol/l, fasting serum triglyceride level was 2.27 ± 0.35 mmol, 2 hours postprandial serum triglyceride level was 3.17 ± 0.54 mmol.
Conclusion: Frequency of hypertriglyceridemia in type 2 diabetics was found to be reasonably high in present study.